Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

Nice reading -- Diamond and Kashyap on the Recent Financial Upheavals - Freakonomics - Opinion - New York Times Blog
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 06:29:43 -0400

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/18/diamond-and-kashyap-on-the-recent-financial-upheavals/?em

September 18, 2008,  10:04 am
By STEVEN D. LEVITT

As an economist, I am supposed to have something intelligent to say about the current financial crisis. To be honest, however, I haven’t got the foggiest idea what this all means. So I did what I always do when something related to banking arises: I knocked on the doors of my colleagues Doug Diamond and Anil Kashyap, and asked them for the answers. What they told me was so interesting and insightful that I begged them to write their explanations down for a broader audience. They were kind enough to take the time to do so. In what follows, they discuss what has happened in the financial sector in the last few days, why it happened, and what it means for everyday people.