Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

Wall Street Bailout vs. PATRIOT Act?
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:06:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: September 21, 2008 7:00:55 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Wall Street Bailout vs. PATRIOT Act?

Dave,

The more details I learn about the proposed economic
bailout plan, the more I think about the drumbeat to pass the PATRIOT
Act without due deliberation after 9/11.  In both cases, we were told
with extreme seriousness that failure to approve the legislation
*immediately* would have extremely dire consequences.

But experience with PATRIOT should have taught us by now how much
damage can be done by rushing through major, game-changing
legislation without due process, balance, and an understanding of
all the ramifications.  PATRIOT has had serious negative consequences
for civil liberties, privacy, and other foundational aspects of our
lives in ways that had nothing whatever to do with really preventing
terrorism.

Similarly, the rush to pass a $700B to $1T economic bailout for Wall
Street (and now we're told foreign banks with investments here as
well), without any obvious penalties for the firms and executives
who created this mess, and so far no direct help for the ordinary
worker and homeowner -- a seeming orgy of trickle-down economics --
appears increasingly problematic as well.

Are we about to be bamboozled yet again?

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com