Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Will on-line backup be evil, too?
From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:52:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () cable comcast com>
Date: March 27, 2009 3:26:34 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, <wb8foz () panix com >
Subject: Re: [IP] Will on-line backup be evil, too?

It hammers on your upstream connection, at least during the initial
seeding stage. That got me wondering. Will Comcast and friends label
such as dangerous;

But why should we? This is backing up your computer into the network after
all.  I sure want to keep my family digital photos and movies and key
documents secure off-site; I view these kinds of services as kind of like
virtual safe deposit boxes in that respect.

However, I am sure that like many people, I have security and privacy
concerns about my documents in the cloud, whether that is via
'AcmeCloudDocs' or 'AcmeCloudBackup' or whatever, and it seems like
companies are experimenting to find good solutions. In my personal opinion at least, seems like we're seeing healthy innovation and experimentation in
the marketplace...

and start deploying measures to sabotage it and its
competitors as they did with Peer-to-Peer?

Well, we've tried hard to right that mistake.  ;-)

I can hear the arguments now. "We never designed our system for this
kind
of abuse." [Read "Someone else is making money we want."]. And maybe
"It's enabling terrorists.." etc. etc. But what it really amounts to is:
may we use our upstream bandwidth or not?

With the speeds that DOCSIS 3.0 makes possible, I am sure we'll start to see a range of new applications take off. Part of our job will be to figure out how to make the use and experience of those new applications better on our
network...

Regards
Jason