Home page logo
/

interesting-people logo Interesting People mailing list archives

re . Query. How many netflix HD streaming movies can 250 mb per month support
From: Dave Farber <dfarber () me com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 12:47:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sean Berry <berry () housebsd org>
Date: June 3, 2010 12:34:31 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] . Query. How many netflix HD streaming movies can 250 mb per month support

Not sure, but I wouldn't think many, but I usually watch Netflix on WiFi, and use the 3G for lighter, roving-specific
data, like map updates, or short term email updates.

I understand the new plans, and think that they're trying to capture revenue from their heaviest users, (a typical
5GB user will now pay $55/mo instead of $30, a 10GB user $105) and hopefully plow that back into more infrastructure.

I hope they're seeing this dedicated new crop of customers as an opportunity to expand.  The new pricing is gentle
enough for the "typical" user that I don't perceive it as gouging, but a way to capture revenue from their heaviest
users.

The App Store already won't let you download an app update bigger than 20MB over 3G.  I think they're driving heavily
towards a "wifi+3g" model, with WiFi effectively covering the primary "high bandwidth" applications.

I'm interested in the idea of "free" and painless access to a well-distributed network of WiFi hotspots: this is
certainly a good stepping stone until 4G/WiMax becomes ubiquitous.

--
Sean Berry
berry () housebsd org