Home page logo
/

isn logo Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Pentagon Reverses Order to Destroy Old Hard Drives
From: nemo () cise ufl edu
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:58:34 -0400 (EDT)

Seems some 15-20 years ago I heard about some companies (in the Orlando
area) that could recover overwritten data on mag tapes up to around 10
generations back, if I recall correctly.  There was also a scandal about
that time due to the salvaging of a potload of mag tapes with sensitive
data on them from weapon test telemetry, if memory serves me well.  I
suspect but do not know for sure that the same kind of techniques that
were used on the mag tapes (something like a very high-resolution and
oversampled read of the magnetic domains that was then used to reconstruct
the contribution of each previous write up to whatever the resolution
permitted) could be used on disks....
So do your overwrites a bunch of times, compadres.
Nemo

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email isn-unsubscribe () SecurityFocus com

  By Date           By Thread