Home page logo
/

isn logo Information Security News mailing list archives

Bin Laden hack-meister in defacement, financial debacles
From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 03:57:35 -0500 (CDT)

By Thomas C Greene in Washington

Shameless German glam-h4x0r Kim Schmitz aka Kimble, who recently stole
headlines with his YIHAT (Young Intelligent Hackers Against Terrorism)
publicity stunt and his unsubstantiated claims to have hacked a
Sudanese bank with /bin/laden accounts, has been fingered in a
defacement of SecurityNewsPortal (SNP) which prompted the site's
sudden closing. Oh, and the flamboyant Schmitz is broke, too.

First things First

We were quite shocked Wednesday to learn that SNP would close shop
after suffering a defacement by someone claiming to be Kimble/YIHAT.
The defaced page ridicules SNP's own security and obsesses on the
injustice of their raking in cash for security services.

Fine, except that SNP sells nothing; and fine, except that the site is
hosted and its owners are therefore not in complete control of its
defenses. But other than that, the defacer is a real oracle of
security wisdom.

"Hacked by Kimble of YIHAT," the defacer announces. "Hello, world!" he
adds, indicating at least a programming-101 comic awareness, and then
goes on to denounce SNP in the manner indicated above for several
long, dull paragraphs.

This made no sense to us, since calling bullshit on SNP's security
would only remind us of how Fluffi(y) Bunni(y) recently humiliated
Kimble and his YIHAT leet guardians by defacing his shameless vanity
site; so we contacted Kimble and SNP Editor Marquis Grove with our
doubts.

Kimble hasn't replied, and we think we can guess why; but Marq told us
in no uncertain terms that "the defacement of our Web site was not
done by Kimble."

"The defacer hopes that by signing the defacement with Kimble's name
and giving all his contact and Web site addresses, Kimble will be put
on the flaming end of indignant users," he reckons.

As for the decision to pull the plug on SNP, Marq considers it the
ultimate trump. Rather than see his host plagued by k1dd10ts, he's
simply removed the target. No target, no phun. Bugger.

A Legend in his own Mind

Who is this Kimble, anyway? He has a Web site devoted to his
aggrandizement as an obscenely spoilt fat bastard with money to burn.
He even hired a model who'd posed in Playboy to pretend to be
attracted to him as he squired a cluster of pals around the Caribbean
in a rented yacht he hopes we'll think he owns.

He likes to be photographed in proximity to helicopters and private
jets and fast cars and pretty sluts, and he litters his site with
enormously too many pictures illustrating this appetite.

He's established a legend of his hacking proficiency based on a little
fact interlarded with a lot of juicy bits taken from media accounts
and movies, as this article mirrored by attrition makes painfully
clear.

He's claimed to organize a leet squad of cyber ninjas called YIHAT who
would penetrate the nether-world of on-line terrorism via their gay
shell accounts. He's claimed that his YIHAT guard have penetrated the
/bin/laden financial lair, but he's offered not one shred of proof.

"I want to see some proof of these hacks," InfoSec News Editor William
Knowles says. He issued a challenge to Kimble back on 11 October to
cough some of it up.

"I think this hack into the AlShamal Islamic Bank is a complete crock
of shit, and I am calling on Kim Schmitz: Show us the proof on this!"

As of today, Knowles hasn't heard word one from YIHAT or its fatboy
founder. And we're far from surprised. But Kimble persists in trading
on myth:

"YIHAT, founded to acquire and coordinate a team of hackers with the
goal of eliminating the electronic foundations of terrorist activities
worldwide, has successfully completed the first phase of its mission:
The team has reached the projected strength and has gathered a
sufficient amount of information to launch the second phase of the
YIHAT operation, which is to monitor, infiltrate and take control of
the information infrastructure used by or supporting terrorists," the
team of IRC kiddies claims, adding, ominously, that "YIHAT moves to
the underground."

It really is touching how they ape cDc's deliciously self-mocking
humor:

"You have never seen us, but you may have felt our wrath. We operate
in the bitter darkness outside the known channels. We slink like cats
along the fringes, spreading the power and propaganda of the Cow
wherever we are.

"We have mastered, one and all, the power of digital chi; we have been
deeply indoctrinated into its devastating offensive capabilities, and
we can strike, suddenly and mercilessly, without even moving a finger.
Our minds, bodies, and black clad keyboards are under our total
control: our every movement, thought, and keypress are choreographed
more perfectly than a classical ballet, and all have deadly purpose.

"We are capable of disguising our true purpose to such a degree that
it is no longer expressible in words. We have eyebeams. We can strike
out with such power as to crumble the sham defenses of any but the
most stringent master of cow fu. Our hands contain the power and
wisdom of the ancients, our hearts their unblinking vision."

Beautifully written. Only Kimble is trying to sell this hokum as
straight news.

KimVestor

Fatboy has an investment fund, too. It isn't registered, of course,
because it's a Ponzi scam. You just know he's paying dividends out of
the investments of fresh dupes. You can just smell it.

Now it seems he's up to his eyeballs in debts like any free-spending
charlatan, and his shares in KimVestor are about to be seized to
address them. It also appears that his shares are going to be woefully
inadequate to satisfy his creditors, according to German financial
news outfit TeleBourse.

Here's what BabelFish makes of it:

"The appointed Internet Kroesus Kim Schmitz, whose Kimvestor AG is
worth 200 million euro according to own specification approximately,
is before the from. How the anlegermagazin reports the TELEBOERSE in
its current output (Thursday), first of the three participation of the
Kimvestor AG, the TUEV Dataprotect GmbH, placed an insolvency request.
In the passed days one dispatched the Schmitz creditor, so the
TELEBOERSE, who had waited some months long in vain for a payment of
several hundredthousand Marks, erstrittene before court, to Schmitz a
seizing resolution for the shares of the Kimvestor AG held by it.
Whether the remaining value of the Kimvestor participation in the mega
Car and the Money bank are sufficient for the payment of the Schmitz
debts, by Bankern one doubt, is called it in the report."

Here's what I make of it:

Pyramid scam.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.

  By Date           By Thread