Home page logo
/

isn logo Information Security News mailing list archives

Cyber Threat Looms
From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 04:08:50 -0600 (CST)

http://freebeacon.com/cyber-threat-looms/

[Change the name, date and agency and this reads like every
other article since Winn Schwartau coined the term
"electronic Pearl Harbor" in 1991. -- WK]

By Bill Gertz
FreeBeacon.com
January 24, 2013

The United States is facing a catastrophic cyber attack by nations or non-state groups that could cripple the country’s economy, a former high-ranking U.S. intelligence official said on Thursday.

Retired Vice Adm. Mike McConnell, who headed both the National Security Agency (NSA) and served as director of national intelligence, said in a speech that one example of a devastating cyber attack would be the crippling of the U.S. economy through cyber attacks on banks and financial institutions.

“We have a national problem and it is significant. The next big issue will be a cyber 9/11,” McConnell said during a luncheon speech to a meeting of the American Bar Association standing committee on law and national security.

“I’ve been sounding the alarm, and I’ve been doing this now for 20 years,” he said. “We are going to have a cyber event that is catastrophic.”

McConnell, a 46-year veteran of the military and intelligence community who still consults for the NSA, also said Chinese and other cyber espionage pose strategic threats to U.S. security. He headed the NSA from 1992 to 1996 and was DNI from 2007 to 2009.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org

  By Date           By Thread