mailing list archives
SP2 compatibility with Framework
From: hypnojazz at gmail.com (Giuseppe Senese)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:17:30 +0200
With SP2, Microsoft has crippled Windows in the following ways.
1. TCP packets may no longer be sent through the raw sockets API
2. IP spoofed UDP packets may no longer be sent through raw sockets
(affects decoy and spoofed scanning).
3. Outbound TCP connection attempts are throttled to a slow rate.
There is a patch for tcp.sys to fix this
05-Sep-2005 09:33:48 CEDT, Marco Monicelli <marco.monicelli at marcegaglia.com>:
Here's some step to do in order to ENABLE the sending of RAW socket,
disabled by the SP2:
1) Open Control panel
2) Turn on Classic Visuallization
3) Open Administration Tools
5) There is "Windows Firewall / Internet Condivision (ICS)"
6) There stop service and disable it in General settings but when you
reboot the pc services start anyway so in "Connection setting" on "Hardwar
Profile" you must set to "Profile 1" DISABLED!
This should do the trick. If anyone is aware of a command line version of
it, please be so kind to send me the details.
I also encounter the same problems about error creating socket.
Does Framework have problems with Winxp SP2. Nmap also had problems with
SP2 and they had to come out with a totally new version. It goes this
When an Nmap user asked MS why security tools
such as Nmap broke, MS responded:
"We have removed support for TCP sends over RAW sockets in SP2.
We surveyed applications and found the only apps using this on XP were
people writing attack tools."
What is the workaround for Error Creating Socket problem?