Home page logo
/

metasploit logo Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: framework Digest, Vol 40, Issue 13
From: "" <sachinshinde11 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 02:07:42 +0000

Hi list ,

----------
Sent via Nokia Email

------Original message------
From: <framework-request () spool metasploit com>
To: <framework () spool metasploit com>
Date: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:59:06 AM GMT-0700
Subject: framework Digest, Vol 40, Issue 13

Send framework mailing list submissions to
        framework () spool metasploit com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        https://mail.metasploit.com/mailman/listinfo/framework
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        framework-request () spool metasploit com

You can reach the person managing the list at
        framework-owner () spool metasploit com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of framework digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: WinExec payload? (Abuse007)
   2. Re: WinExec payload? (Peter Van Eeckhoutte)
   3. Re: WinExec payload? (Jun Koi)
   4. ROP support? (Jun Koi)
   5. Re: ROP support? (Peter Van Eeckhoutte)
   6. Re: ROP support? (Jun Koi)
   7. Re: ROP support? (Peter Van Eeckhoutte)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 17:24:56 +1000
From: Abuse007 <abuse007 () gmail com>
To: Jun Koi <junkoi2004 () gmail com>
Cc: "framework () spool metasploit com" <framework () spool metasploit com>
Subject: Re: [framework] WinExec payload?
Message-ID: <2F9F255B-DD8B-4DBB-8007-BFDFEAC1D4DF () gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=us-ascii

Hi Jun,

I haven't looked into metasploit's WinExec shellcode but it is probably working out the addresses of the functions in 
the libraries that it needs. The addresses of breakpoints you are setting and the calculated addresses might not match. 
The shellcode could be calling a little past the function prologue. Try setting the break points further into the 
functions.

Also in general some functions are merely wrappers around others, so break on the lowest level function. 

Msf may have source code or documentation on the shellcode. Otherwise disassemble it and have a look at how it is 
working.

I may be missing something myself, but I hope the above helps.


On 18/05/2011, at 3:38 PM, Jun Koi <junkoi2004 () gmail com> wrote:

hi,

i am using payload WinExec to test one vulnerable application (the exploitation also comes from metasploit)

before launching the exploit, i put 2 breakpoints on WinExec and GetProcAddress function of this application.
then i run the exploit, and it successes. 

however, the problem is none of my breakpoints were triggered. this is a surprise to me, as i supposed that the 
payload cannot work without using these 2 functions. clearly i missed something there! 

could anybody please tell me why this happens?

thanks a lot,
Jun

_______________________________________________
https://mail.metasploit.com/mailman/listinfo/framework


------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 09:43:51 +0200
From: Peter Van Eeckhoutte <peter.ve () corelan be>
To: Abuse007 <abuse007 () gmail com>, Jun Koi <junkoi2004 () gmail com>
Cc: "framework () spool metasploit com" <framework () spool metasploit com>
Subject: Re: [framework] WinExec payload?
Message-ID:
        <C0641B79F7D6A44791BA8FA35BC143F903D38631E936 () apollo corelan be>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

It uses kernel32.WinExec - so either set a bp before the shellcode starts to run and step through,
or set a bp at kernel32.WinExec before running the shellcode
(worked fine for me)



-----Original Message-----
From: framework-bounces () spool metasploit com [mailto:framework-bounces () spool metasploit com] On Behalf Of Abuse007
Sent: woensdag 18 mei 2011 9:25
To: Jun Koi
Cc: framework () spool metasploit com
Subject: Re: [framework] WinExec payload?

Hi Jun,

I haven't looked into metasploit's WinExec shellcode but it is probably working out the addresses of the functions in 
the libraries that it needs. The addresses of breakpoints you are setting and the calculated addresses might not match. 
The shellcode could be calling a little past the function prologue. Try setting the break points further into the 
functions.

Also in general some functions are merely wrappers around others, so break on the lowest level function.

Msf may have source code or documentation on the shellcode. Otherwise disassemble it and have a look at how it is 
working.

I may be missing something myself, but I hope the above helps.


On 18/05/2011, at 3:38 PM, Jun Koi <junkoi2004 () gmail com> wrote:

hi,

i am using payload WinExec to test one vulnerable application (the exploitation also comes from metasploit)

before launching the exploit, i put 2 breakpoints on WinExec and GetProcAddress function of this application.
then i run the exploit, and it successes.

however, the problem is none of my breakpoints were triggered. this is a surprise to me, as i supposed that the 
payload cannot work without using these 2 functions. clearly i missed something there!

could anybody please tell me why this happens?

thanks a lot,
Jun

_______________________________________________
https://mail.metasploit.com/mailman/listinfo/framework
_______________________________________________
https://mail.metasploit.com/mailman/listinfo/framework

This transmission is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s).  If you are not an intended recipient you 
should not read, disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use the information contained in this transmission.  The 
information contained in this transmission may be confidential and/or privileged.  If you have received this 
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this transmission including any attachments.


------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 16:27:09 +0800
From: Jun Koi <junkoi2004 () gmail com>
To: Peter Van Eeckhoutte <peter.ve () corelan be>
Cc: "framework () spool metasploit com" <framework () spool metasploit com>
Subject: Re: [framework] WinExec payload?
Message-ID: <BANLkTinTRXaMaXAS1_N7TxaRHofQNnf6Zw () mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

silly me, i put the breakpoint at the wrong place. now it works!

thanks a lot, everyobydy!
J

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Peter Van Eeckhoutte
<peter.ve () corelan be> wrote:
It uses kernel32.WinExec - so either set a bp before the shellcode starts to run and step through,
or set a bp at kernel32.WinExec before running the shellcode
(worked fine for me)



-----Original Message-----
From: framework-bounces () spool metasploit com [mailto:framework-bounces () spool metasploit com] On Behalf Of 
Abuse007
Sent: woensdag 18 mei 2011 9:25
To: Jun Koi
Cc: framework () spool metasploit com
Subject: Re: [framework] WinExec payload?

Hi Jun,

I haven't looked into metasploit's WinExec shellcode but it is probably working out the addresses of the functions in 
the libraries that it needs. The addresses of breakpoints you are setting and the calculated addresses might not 
match. The shellcode could be calling a little past the function prologue. Try setting the break points further into 
the functions.

Also in general some functions are merely wrappers around others, so break on the lowest level function.

Msf may have source code or documentation on the shellcode. Otherwise disassemble it and have a look at how it is 
working.

I may be missing something myself, but I hope the above helps.


On 18/05/2011, at 3:38 PM, Jun Koi <junkoi2004 () gmail com> wrote:

hi,

i am using payload WinExec to test one vulnerable application (the exploitation also comes from metasploit)

before launching the exploit, i put 2 breakpoints on WinExec and GetProcAddress function of this application.
then i run the exploit, and it successes.

however, the problem is none of my breakpoints were triggered. this is a surprise to me, as i supposed that the 
payload cannot work without using these 2 functions. clearly i missed something there!

could anybody please tell me why this happens?

thanks a lot,
Jun

_______________________________________________
https://mail.metasploit.com/mailman/listinfo/framework
_______________________________________________
https://mail.metasploit.com/mailman/listinfo/framework

This transmission is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s). ?If you are not an intended recipient you 
should not read, disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use the information contained in this transmission. 
?The information contained in this transmission may be confidential and/or privileged. ?If you have received this 
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this transmission including any attachments.



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 00:20:31 +0800
From: Jun Koi <junkoi2004 () gmail com>
To: framework () spool metasploit com
Subject: [framework] ROP support?
Message-ID: <BANLkTimSD4KTP8-F53Vw0NbH_eMZWFqEig () mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

hi,

does current metasploit support ROP-based exploitation? if so, which
exploitation/payload are available?

thanks,
Jun
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.metasploit.com/pipermail/framework/attachments/20110519/4320a026/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 18:38:56 +0200
From: Peter Van Eeckhoutte <peter.ve () corelan be>
To: Jun Koi <junkoi2004 () gmail com>, "framework () spool metasploit com"
        <framework () spool metasploit com>
Subject: Re: [framework] ROP support?
Message-ID:
        <C0641B79F7D6A44791BA8FA35BC143F903D38631E93E () apollo corelan be>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Msf won't automagically build a rop chain for you, but if you can build one yourself and include it in your module, the 
selected payloads will be more than happy to execute for you



From: framework-bounces () spool metasploit com [mailto:framework-bounces () spool metasploit com] On Behalf Of Jun Koi
Sent: woensdag 18 mei 2011 18:21
To: framework () spool metasploit com
Subject: [framework] ROP support?

hi,

does current metasploit support ROP-based exploitation? if so, which exploitation/payload are available?

thanks,
Jun

________________________________
This transmission is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient you 
should not read, disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use the information contained in this transmission. The 
information contained in this transmission may be confidential and/or privileged. If you have received this 
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this transmission including any attachments.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.metasploit.com/pipermail/framework/attachments/20110518/d5a70bf7/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 00:52:50 +0800
From: Jun Koi <junkoi2004 () gmail com>
To: Peter Van Eeckhoutte <peter.ve () corelan be>
Cc: "framework () spool metasploit com" <framework () spool metasploit com>
Subject: Re: [framework] ROP support?
Message-ID: <BANLkTikPig5J8Qd8Df-7+vzCCDOuCfW-eQ () mail gmail com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Peter Van Eeckhoutte
<peter.ve () corelan be> wrote:
Msf won?t automagically build a rop chain for you, but if you can build one
yourself and include it in your module, the selected payloads will be more
than happy to execute for you


so Metasploit doesnt make ROP exploit for. this is the (current)
limitation, and will be improved in the future? or there is a reason
for Metasploit not to do that?

thanks,
J



From: framework-bounces () spool metasploit com
[mailto:framework-bounces () spool metasploit com] On Behalf Of Jun Koi
Sent: woensdag 18 mei 2011 18:21
To: framework () spool metasploit com
Subject: [framework] ROP support?



hi,

does current metasploit support ROP-based exploitation? if so, which
exploitation/payload are available?

thanks,
Jun

________________________________
This transmission is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s). If
you are not an intended recipient you should not read, disclose, copy,
circulate or in any other way use the information contained in this
transmission. The information contained in this transmission may be
confidential and/or privileged. If you have received this transmission in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this transmission
including any attachments.



------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 18:57:36 +0200
From: Peter Van Eeckhoutte <peter.ve () corelan be>
To: Jun Koi <junkoi2004 () gmail com>
Cc: "framework () spool metasploit com" <framework () spool metasploit com>
Subject: Re: [framework] ROP support?
Message-ID:
        <C0641B79F7D6A44791BA8FA35BC143F903D38631E940 () apollo corelan be>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

I guess it would need to be able to generate the gadgets from the correct dlls from within the correct context etc

In theory it should be perfectly possible...  feel free to apply your patches :)




-----Original Message-----
From: Jun Koi [mailto:junkoi2004 () gmail com]
Sent: woensdag 18 mei 2011 18:53
To: Peter Van Eeckhoutte
Cc: framework () spool metasploit com
Subject: Re: [framework] ROP support?

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Peter Van Eeckhoutte
<peter.ve () corelan be> wrote:
Msf won't automagically build a rop chain for you, but if you can build one
yourself and include it in your module, the selected payloads will be more
than happy to execute for you


so Metasploit doesnt make ROP exploit for. this is the (current)
limitation, and will be improved in the future? or there is a reason
for Metasploit not to do that?

thanks,
J



From: framework-bounces () spool metasploit com
[mailto:framework-bounces () spool metasploit com] On Behalf Of Jun Koi
Sent: woensdag 18 mei 2011 18:21
To: framework () spool metasploit com
Subject: [framework] ROP support?



hi,

does current metasploit support ROP-based exploitation? if so, which
exploitation/payload are available?

thanks,
Jun

________________________________
This transmission is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s). If
you are not an intended recipient you should not read, disclose, copy,
circulate or in any other way use the information contained in this
transmission. The information contained in this transmission may be
confidential and/or privileged. If you have received this transmission in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this transmission
including any attachments.


This transmission is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s).  If you are not an intended recipient you 
should not read, disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use the information contained in this transmission.  The 
information contained in this transmission may be confidential and/or privileged.  If you have received this 
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this transmission including any attachments.


------------------------------

_______________________________________________
framework mailing list
framework () spool metasploit com
https://mail.metasploit.com/mailman/listinfo/framework


End of framework Digest, Vol 40, Issue 13
*****************************************

_______________________________________________
https://mail.metasploit.com/mailman/listinfo/framework


  By Date           By Thread  

Current thread:
[ Nmap | Sec Tools | Mailing Lists | Site News | About/Contact | Advertising | Privacy ]
AlienVault