Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: What is SPAM? - was Re: Legislative Relief - was Re: Motion...
From: "Larry J. Plato" <ljp () noc ans net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 03:58:25 +0000 (UTC)

It is a meat-like substance which is delivered in a tin can.  It can be quite
good for breakfast with eggs if you can stand the grease content.

I don't think it looks like meat.  It's sort of a pink, semi-homogenous,
gelatinatious mass.  I think Hormell (tm) uses SPAM as an acronym
for Sorta Pink And Mutilated but I digress ;)

spam:  Any posting which contains an advertisement of a product.

You mean like your email .sig?

posting:  Any peice of electronic material found either in a UseNet NewsGroup,
        public mailing list (listserv), or a private mailing list.

You mean like this message?

I don't really think you're message was spam.  I was making a point.

I really don't see what the big deal is in all this.

I think you are right that EVENTUALLY people will realize that spam
is bad for business.  In the meantime, if people can find technical
solution, that's great.  If they can't I certainly don't want to
get the lawyers involved.  SPAM is bad, but some cures are worse
than the disease,

Larry

Sig included as a reference

--
Dave Siegel                   President, RTD Systems & Networking, Inc.
(520)623-9663                 Systems Consultant -- Unix, LANs, WANs, Cisco

  By Date           By Thread