Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: geeting NANOG listed in Encyclopedia of Associations
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis () ans net>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 1995 11:40:38 -0400

In message <199509301901.PAA06526 () pinch io org>, Nigel Allen writes:
Groups like NANOG may find it useful to be listed in the _Encyclopedia
of Associations_, a directory of national non-profit groups in the
United States, so that journalists, researchers and potential new
members can get in touch with you more easily.

I have transcribed the questionnaire that the _Encyclopedia of Associations_
uses to compile its listings, and I would be happy to send a copy
to anyone who would like their group listed.

The Encyclopedia of Associations is published by Gale Research Inc.
of Detroit, a well-known publisher of reference books. Your local
library probably has a copy of the _Encyclopedia of Associations_
that you can look through to see how other progressive groups are listed.

To request a questionnaire, send me e-mail (ndallen () io org), or
contact:
 Encyclopedia of Associations
 Gale Research Inc.
 835 Penobscot Building
 Detroit, MI 48226-4094
 U.S.A.
 telephone (313) 961-2242 or 800-877-GALE
 fax (313) 961-6815

 --
 Nigel Allen, Toronto, Ontario, Canada       ndallen () io org
 Web page: http://www.io.org/~ndallen

NANOG has no official spokesperson (unless someone wants Merit to take
on that role with the public media) and produces no documents.  NANOG
is a forum for providers to discuss and hopefully resolve operational
issues, but not a policy making body.  NANOG has never written any
formal decree.  IMO: If NANOG starts to try to produce documents,
discussion would quickly deteriorate from network operations to petty
wording in the documents.

The IETF would be more appropriate (if IETF is not already in there)
as well as the IETF WGs such as CIDRD, allowing the chair to serve as
spokesperson for the WG, hopefully providing draft documents and
status of WG documents and any official WG adgenda, but not any
personal agenda for the WG.

Do we really expect popular media to query IETF Operational Area WGs
on their progress and their impact on the Internet?  I doubt it.

Curtis

  By Date           By Thread