Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Flapping prefixes and dialup networks. Discuss.
From: Michael Dillon <michael () junction net>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1995 23:03:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Sean Doran wrote:

Subject: nisc-03292 (ticket update) badly flapping prefix (204.4.27/24)

Ticket #nisc-03292    09/10/95-18:12:08 silvera       SUBJECT: badly flapping prefix (204.4.27/24)
Posted by: Aaron Silver
----------

Sean,
      The customer that this network belongs to is a dial-up customer, and
as such, when his connection is up, we broadcast his network IP, and stop
broadcasting when he disables his connection. We are unable to prevent his
route from propagating in the face of what could be frequent log-in/log-outs.

Aaron Silver
PSI Customer Support

Aaron, have you never heard of aggregation? Can't you aggregate this
customer's route with other /24's and thus hide their comings and goings
from the entire global Internet. Can you imagine what would happen if
every dialup network in the world announced itself every time it logged
in or out of it's service provider?

This is not only anitsocial behaviour on the part of PSI, but you are in
effect, holding your customer up to ridicule before the world by
announcing their every coming and going. IMHO this is an extremely poor
attitude to have towards your customers.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael () memra com

  By Date           By Thread