Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: It Continues...Sprint Is played the fool...
From: dvv () dvv ru (Dima Volodin)
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 03:24:16 GMT

On Tue, 7 Jan 97 01:27:07 GMT, "William Allen Simpson"
<wsimpson () greendragon com> wrote:

Moreover, it was very important to me to learn about this Sprint policy
of allowing spamming.  I'm in the middle of writing the RFP evaluation
criteria for a fairly large network buy.  In addition to the paragraphs
on accepting routes into its own address space for multihoming (which
disqualified Sprint earlier), I'll add some language that:

[...]
- the service provider must have a written and enforcable policy
  prohibiting any of its customers from sending any traffic to
  recipients that have not requested the traffic -- including (but not
  limited to) the sending of off-topic or unsolicited mail messages to
  mailing list exploders, subsets of mailing list registrants, news
  groups, and posters to news groups (termed "mail spamming").  The
  requirement for a response to any such unsolicited message to prevent
  future messages is unacceptable.

What about the Web spamming, i.e. all these flashy dynamic GIFs that pop up on
nearly every page and have no relation to its contents whatsoever? I don't
really request all this trashy traffic either and my my browser's downloading
them wastes my precious free hours online.

- the service provider must have the capability of isolating any
  external network addresses and connections within 10 minutes of
  notification about operational problems of its other customers and
  network connections -- including (but not limited to) broadcast
  flooding, connection flooding, routing loops, address spoofing, mail
  spoofing, and mail spamming.
- The service provider will guarantee reimbursement of costs for each
  minute (or fraction thereof) beyond the specified 10 minutes.

I believe these will disqualify Sprint, too.

Together with whom? Who is left qualified, anyway?

WSimpson () UMich edu
BSimpson () MorningStar com

Dima