Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Info on MAE-EAST
From: Stephen Balbach <stephen () clark net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 12:26:09 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, David Schwartz wrote:

      I could equally well see a colo center where the plan is to run a
DS3 to the colo center, put a router there, and buy transit from as many
providers as you wanted by connecting to each provider's switch. For
example, a room where Sprint, MCI, BBNPlanet, PSI, Netcom, and whoever
else wanted to come would each have their own Ethernet switch or Gigaswitch.

      ISPs could then colo a router at the center and with no telco loop
cost obtain transit connections from whatever combination of providers
they wished. If the operators of the colo center had their own regional
OC48 sonet ring, the cost to bring a DS3 to the center could be quite low
for both ISPs and the big boys.

This is a great idea, but runs counter to the telco's, all of whom run
the current major NAP's.

The other element needed would be multiple fiber drops from multiple
carriers.

.stb