Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: peering charges?
From: Sanjay Dani(maillists) <indus () professionals com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 23:03:28 -0800 (PST)

Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 10:30:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net>

Yes, and the current peering requirements are enough to keep most small
ISPs from growing. I am spending 10s of thousands a month over what I need
to spend just because people want to see full DS3 network. I can
understand people would want me to be at all NAPs, but why should I need
10X the bandwidth I need for my customers?

There are also problems with providers saying that I need to be at every
NAP they are at, but what do I do when say a NAP in the east can't give me
a connection? They first don't want to let me in at all, then they say

Perhaps I'm cynical or naive or both. It seems to me like
you're working towards a target that the "big" providers
keep moving at their will and at _your_ expense. It
would be interesting to see if you could have actually
saved money by _buying_ just the amount of bandwidth
you currently need from the big provider(s) that matter
most from an engineering standpoint.

Of course I'm ignorant about your long term business
objectives that may justify the infrastructure investment.

Regards,
Sanjay.

Web Professionals, Inc.
20370 Town Center Lane, Suite 245               +1 408-865-0899
Cupertino CA 95014 USA             http://web.professionals.com