Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: peering charges?
From: Dirk Harms-Merbitz <dirk () power net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:26:18 -0800 (PST)

The packets are of different size. We have been using the phrase "counting
packets" in the sense of "counting the bytes in packets".

Dirk

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Alex.Bligh wrote:

Computers (third party?) on the edges of my network count the number of
packets that transit my network over a certain time period. Periodically I
issue invoices.

Ok. How do you translate the number of packets into figure in $s?

In a capitalist economy, price generally follows value.

What is the value of a packet?  It is not even clear if packet crossing
from your network to my network gives _me_ any value.  It can as well
be for _your_ benefit.

There's a much more simple flaw in this one. If you count packets
(for TCP protocols anyway), every packet full of lovely http data
doing one way tends to be matched by an equal number of ACKs. Hang on,
that gives us zero settlement. Maybe not such a bad idea after all :-)

Alex Bligh
Xara Networks