Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

RE: BOOM! there goes WorldCom
From: "Rusty H. Hodge" <rusty () hodge com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 19:02:04 -0700

At 5:05 PM -0700 7/16/97, Chris Fairbanks wrote:

Doesn't Sprint stand for Southern Pacific Railroad INTernational?

Sprint was born when Southern Pacific spun off SP Communications, aka SPC,
(I believe to GTE). The name was then changed to Sprint. I don't think SPC
had any fiber back then - i remember the voice circuits were very noisy.

But you're pretty correct, SPC was using railroad right-of-way for
communications signalling - originally for SP's internal voice/data
network, and then began selling excess capacity.

--
Rusty Hodge <rusty () hodge com>, San Francisco

  By Date           By Thread