Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: tiers? (fwd)
From: "Matthew James Gering" <mgering () ricochet net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:31:15 -0700

Somehow I don't think the Tier 1 "definition" will ever be defined and
agreed
upon.  Marketing depts. throughout the industry have used it and all come
up with their own definition to suit their network

No kidding. I once encountered a hole-in-the-wall provider in Seattle that
claimed to be "Tier 1." When I disagreed he had the gall to tell me that he
was an Internet guru and had originally coined the term "Tier X." So much
for truth in marketing.

Unless a user is trying to do cross-country VPN, a good regional
multi-homed provider has the best performance, quality and service IMHO.

        Matt

  By Date           By Thread