Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: DC fiber cut: field report
From: Hal Murray <murray () pa dec com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 97 02:03:02 -0700

The story that I have heard is that some providers have 1 (one)
protect circuit to cover many primary circuits...  You loose too
many primary and limit number of protect circuits can't get them
all.
      --asp () partan com (Andrew Partan)

I'm not a TELCO wizard.

The impression I get is that the protection circuit is intended to
cover failures that take out a single circuit.  For example, if you
had 10 fibers in a system and a repeater or laser died, then only
one of your fibers stops working.  Fixing that with a protection
circuit adds 1/10 to the system cost.  (Maybe less if you have spare
fibers in the ground.)  Fixing it with SONET ring technology roughly
doubles the system cost.

A protection circuit doesn't help if your problem is backhoes.

  By Date           By Thread