Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Non-ISP companies multi-homing?
From: Gordon Mercer <gmercer () dn net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 97 11:40:29 -0400

Supposing to have IBGP to one ISP (to avoid assigning of
independent AS) and EBGP to the second ISP, again will
my router announce the /24 inside of the first ISP
address block to the EBGP peer ??

Interesting approach. In general, the ISPs I know would
be reluctant to run iBGP with a customer, unless they had
total control of all BGP speakers. If I understand you
correctly, the enterprise would have to tag its
advertisements to the second ISP with the ASN of the
first, since the enterprise doesn't have its own. Again,
I think most ISPs would be reluctant to give up this
amount of control.

Without the ISP having total control over the customer
router, a misconfiguration of filters on the customer side
could easily cause the customer to be a valid (and 1 hop)
path in the tables from ISP A to ISP B. Doesn't sound
like a possibility I would be willing to have hanging over
my head.

---

-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>--
Gordon Mercer  -=<Dedicated>=-
               [digitalNATION]
703 642 2800    -=<Servers>=-   gmercer () dn net

  By Date           By Thread