Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Bonded Pipes
From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () priori net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:26:00 -0700

On Jul 24, Scott Landman <Scott_Landman () zd com> wrote:

Does anyone out there have any comment on some of the new, bonded pipe
products like the WebRamp M3 or Transendmodem?  From what I understand they
are saying that multiple lines can be aggregated to act as one, virtual
line.

My question is:  will the ISPs support multiple sessions from the same
account (name/password) without charging N X the number of lines per hour?

        I can't see how, without drastically changing the authentication
        methods used by just about every terminal server out there.

If yes, then these like like cheap alternatives to ISDN.  If not, is there
any benefit to aggregating?

        This type of technology is best used for dedicated connections,
        IMHO, at least until Ascend, Livingston, Cisco, and other
        companies that make big dial-in boxes support it.

        BTW, this question might be better asked of inet-access, since
        there's more discussion of dialup issues there.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-415-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net
     "The People You Know.  The People You Trust."