Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

DNS
From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:09:35 -0400

I am not a techie :-)) but it seems to me that the real
power re DNS lies not with adhoc committees but
with the ISPs. If we collectively choose to point our
DNS at other than Internic then new domains will exist
without ad-hoc committees, government interference
etc. Obviously there is concern about some of the current
attempts to provide DNS not being really answerable to
the ISP community and hence their lack of success.

What do you think? Action by NANOG members to get out
of the current poor situation rather than leaving it
to fate?

What do I think?  I think Paul Ferguson, et al, are going to flame you
unmercifully for bringing up "DNS politics" on their precious
"operations" list.  Of course, I also think you're _right_.

Maybe not limited to ISPs, but they're certainly a large part of the
audience.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology

  By Date           By Thread