Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

RE: Non-ISP companies multi-homing?
From: Eric Germann <ekgermann () cctec com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 14:47:05 -0400

At 02:12 PM 7/25/97 -0400, root () gannett com wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Eric Germann wrote:

negates the whole purpose of multihoming from their perspective.  Does
Gannett or Pointcast have >= 8K hosts exposed on their DMZ networks?

No, but we have around  8K devices using our legal address space.  Just
because I don't currently expose my hosts doesn't mean I don't want the
option to be able to.  When we registered, firewalls weren't the
up-and-coming thing, but then I've also got a /23 being routed via my AS.

I completely subscribe to your option theory, however, I've been told and
seen ping sweeps to see if the space is in use.  And the other response is
if you don't want them seen now, give them 10.x or 192.168, and use a
proxy.  So it doesn't fall under the NIC's and presumably ARIN's
allocations policies.

If the next PointCast says we can do it all in a /23 and we want PI space
and we want you to route it, do any ISP's or NSP's prostitute their
allocation/filtering beliefs for the almighty dollar?

Why?  I have a municipality building out a comm infrastructure.  They want
PI space.  A mini @Home, if you will.  Reponsible use says we only take
what we need.  In the initial phase (infrastructure buildout), they need
probably a /23 at most.  Using reponsible and aggressive management of
allocation policies, they will grow up within a year or two to a /19 or
larger.  But their early customers are SOL for anything on the far side of
Sprint, unless of course, we pay Sprint.  And every other NSP who has a /19
filter in place.  So we can't multihome, buy transit from a couple of good
NSP's and let the economics drive our decision.

Most of that comes from the fact that my addresses are pre-CIDR customer
registered ones.  Once again, it's back to the whole aggragation of
routes vs. disaggragation of traffic.

So getting in early is a good thing I suppose.  Day late and a dollar short
for the rest of 'em.

====
Eric Germann                            Computer and Communications Technologies
ekgermann () cctec com                  Van Wert, OH 45891
                                        Phone:  419 968 2640
http://www.cctec.com                    Fax:    419 968 2641

Network Design, Connectivity & System Integration Services
A Microsoft Solution Provider

  By Date           By Thread