Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Root Servers not updated
From: Jim Dixon <jdd () vbc net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 21:06:50 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Paul A Vixie wrote:

David H. Holtzman, Senior VP Engineering, NSI, dholtz () internic net, wrote:

Lastly, it appears irresponsible to fan the flames of "the internic is
trying to get over" via lists like these.  How about giving us the benefit
of the doubt?  We generally stay silent on these issues, but feel that it
is important to explain what we are doing and why.  No, we are not trying
to take over the net.  Sorry for the confusion.
      (b) NSI will continue to make all "internic" zone files publically
          available, with no nondisclosure requirements on other root
          name servers, now or ever.

Just for your information:

The second root name server in Europe was set up at the LINX in London
in March.  This was implemented as two servers.  The "." server,
k.root-servers.net, has been operational since then.  The gTLD server,
carrying .com, .net, and .org, received a single zone transfer from
the Internic on 26 March.  Since then zone transfers have been blocked.

Various European Internet organisations (LINX, the London Internet
exchange; RIPE, responsible for allocating address space; and ISPA,
the UK Internet Services Providers Association) have asked for an
explanation or clarification of InterNIC policy but have received none.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015

  By Date           By Thread