Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: AS8584 taking over the internet
From: philip bridge <bridge () ip-plus net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:34:00 +0100

At 12:16 AM 4/10/98 +0000, Michael Shields wrote:
In article <3.0.3.32.19980409083628.03cebbe8 () mailhost ip-plus net>,
philip bridge <bridge () ip-plus net> wrote:
That is of course laudible. But the point has to be made that AS8584 is in
Israel. In an environment when a small ISP in a small country can cause a
lot of damage to the global Internet, a way has to be found to efficiently
propogate this knowledge far and wide.

I don't understand this point.  Would you have been happier if they
were a small ISP in the United States?  How about India?  Finland?
Why does it matter that AS8584 is in Israel?

No, no, no. The point I was trying to make is that doing a tutorial on the
IRR toolset at a Nanog meeting will not propogate the knowledge about how
to prevent these meltdowns with those tools far enough and wide enough. If
you do not like the example of Israel, how about Switzerland, which is even
smaller and happens to be where I live and work. How many multihomed,
BGP-speaking ISPs do you think fly from Switzerland to Nanog meetings? The
same goes for RIPE meetings or APNIC meetings. The techniques to prevent
these meltdowns *have* to be easily implementable and well understood by
the vast majority of ISPs, both big and small.

--
Shields, CrossLink.

Philip Bridge
++41 31 688 8262        bridge () ip-plus net     www.ip-plus.ch
PGP: DE78 06B7 ACDB CB56 CE88 6165 A73F B703

  By Date           By Thread