Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Two renumbering questions
From: Ravi Pina <ravi () bird iagnet net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:29:04 -0400 (EDT)

My ISP is changing upstreams for a variety of reasons around May 18th.

That is unfortunate.

1.  I have a /24 SWIPed to me, 205.238.207.0.  The ARIN listing doesn't say
it's non-portable, so can I take it with me?  And if I do, how likely is it
that the new ISP's announcement will get installed in backbone routers
rather than filtered for being too long?  It's right in the middle of the old
upstream's block 205.238.192/18.

If you *own* the block, you can do anything you want with it.  I don't think
there is an issue with with routing, you just have to do it.  Then again, I
may be wrong.

2.  Assuming I have to renumber, I have a whole bunch of virtual domains all
DNS served from one server in the renumbered space called ivan.iecc.com.
(There's other servers elsewhere that won't get renumbered.) If I tell the
Internic that ivan's host number has changed, will that update all the
domains served from it?

Sure, a host modify (http://rs.internic.net/cgi-bin/itts/host) will set you
up.  If you can, I'd try to overlap service so when things fubar, you can
always fallback to pieces-parts 'till you can figure things out :)

-ravi

  By Date           By Thread