Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Two renumbering questions
From: John R Levine <johnl () iecc com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:40:44 -0400 (EDT)

1.  I have a /24 SWIPed to me, 205.238.207.0.  The ARIN listing doesn't say
it's non-portable, so can I take it with me?  And if I do, how likely is it
that the new ISP's announcement will get installed in backbone routers
rather than filtered for being too long?  It's right in the middle of the old
upstream's block 205.238.192/18.

If you *own* the block, you can do anything you want with it.

Well, there's the question -- I have no idea who owns it.  Look it up in
ARIN, it says it's mine, but with contact info from epix, the old upstream.
Again, though, even if I own it, if the announcements don't make it into the
backbone it's not very useful, and I gather that some backbones now filter at
/19 except for the swamp.

Sure, a host modify (http://rs.internic.net/cgi-bin/itts/host) will set you
up.  If you can, I'd try to overlap service so when things fubar, you can
always fallback to pieces-parts 'till you can figure things out :)

My ISP (the local independent telco who is quite sharp) is doing what
they can but epix is less than helpful.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl () iecc com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47

  By Date           By Thread