Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: oh, for goodness' sake.
From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:14:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, David R. Conrad wrote:

I think that placing such critical domain references under .INT is a
reasonable idea.

I suspect this could be controversial given .INT is supposed to be
administered by the ITU... :-)

Since we're already saddled with .arpa and it is already used for
(arguably) critical infrastructure goop, why not use it?

One of the stated uses of .INT is for international databases and that
seems to be the reason that the reverse DNS for IPv6 is under .INT rather
than .ARPA. Of course it may not be too late for IPv6 to be changes and
for all important infrastructure info to be moved to .ARPA. We could even
rationalize things somewhat, i.e.

IN-ADDR.ARPA
IP6.ARPA
NET.ARPA  for IP netblock whois info
ARIN.NET.ARPA  |
RIPE.NET.ARPA  |-queries to NET.ARPA will be redirected to one of these
APNIC.NET.ARPA |
RS.ARPA - route servers
IANA.ARPA - IANA databases such as MIBs, port assignments

--
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com

  By Date           By Thread