Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: [nanog] Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access
From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 19:33:59 -0500

On Sat, Jan 24, 1998 at 04:09:49PM -0000, John R. Levine wrote:
The only thing I can figure is that the morons in question are going to
quote, for legal purposes, "peak" or "burst" bandwidth, ...

Well, sure.

Let's have a show of hands: today, who gets 53Kbits/sec throughput on
an X56 dialup?  Who gets 1.544Mbit/sec throughput on a T1?  Hmmn,
looks pretty quiet out there.

Everyone's overcommitted, nobody can provide full pipe bandwidth on the
connections they're selling now.  This isn't news.

yes, but those people aren't usually selling a wide enough hose to make
it useful for resale or server operation, which the ADSL stuff _will_.
It's a different target audience, because of that, and I don't think
they get it.

I suspect that the real market for xDSL will be as much telecommuting
as web surfing, and so long as the telecommuters have a fast enough
connection to the office which will probably not be very far away,
that's all they care about.

_I_ think it will be "personal printing presses", as much as anything
else.  But I've been wrong before.  Course, I've been _right_ before,
too...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.org

  By Date           By Thread