Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Web caching liability
From: jon () branch net (Jon Zeeff)
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 10:39:04 -0500 (EST)

We could get this information via sniffing our network.  We don't, but
if we did, we would only do it in a manner that would completely
protect the privacy of our customers.

I think it would be naive to believe that this isn't happening
somewhere today.

Another interesting question than the intellectual property issue, is the
question of what a NSP/ISP might do with the statistics on proxy traffic --
the numbers on hits, bytes, etc -- and the usage profiles of individuals
using the proxy.

I think it is only a matter of time and opportunity before some ISPs would
begin to exploit revenue opportunities associated with this new gatekeeping
role, should it develop.

  By Date           By Thread