Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: San Francisco power outages imminent
From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () mail-abuse org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:28:10 -0700

      It'll be interesting to see what kind of outages this causes;
      for one thing, Sean's power may go out.

      If power goes out in the NOC and there's nobody around to
      monitor it....

        http://www.caiso.com/awe/systemstatus.html is pretty interesting
        reading at this point; so is CAISO document E-509, at the bottom
        of http://www.caiso.com/thegrid/operations/opsdoc/emergency/ ,
        which describes what a "No Touch Day" actually is.

        I'm beginning to see how Sean gets so much inside info; all it
        takes is to post to NANOG a bit, and people tell you all sorts
        of things.  For example, someone from Exodus just told me that
        they "haven't yet made any changes."  One would hope that this
        is because they have more than 90 minutes of backup power.

        Some of the downtown San Jose office space (such as the Bank
        of America building) is being "quiesced" for the rest of the
        day, because it is deemed non-critical.

--
J.D. Falk                                             "Laughter is the sound
Product Manager                          that knowledge makes when it's born."

  By Date           By Thread