Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: PMTU-D: remember, your load balancer is broken
From: Paul Vixie <vixie () mibh net>
Date: 17 Jun 2000 11:59:30 -0700

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu writes:

Has this changed?  Has "fragmentation" become a Great Evil, ... ?

Yes.  http://research.compaq.com/wrl/techreports/abstracts/87.3.html says:

                              Research Report 87/3, December 1987

                              87.3 -- Fragmentation Considered Harmful

                              Christopher A. Kent, Jeffrey C. Mogul

                                 PostScript Version
                                 gzipped PostScript Version
                                 Adobe Acrobat PDF Version

                              Internetworks can be built from many
                              different kinds of networks, with varying
                              limits on maximum packet size. Throughput is
                              usually maximized when the largest possible
                              packet is sent; unfortunately, some routes
                              can carry only very small packets. The IP
                              protocol allows a gateway to fragment a
                              packet if it is too large to be transmitted.
                              Fragmentation is at best a necessary evil; it
                              can lead to poor performance or complete
                              communication failure. There are a variety of
                              ways to reduce the likelihood of
                              fragmentation; some can be incorporated into
                              existing IP implementations without changes
                              in protocol specifications. Others require
                              new protocols, or modifications to existing
                              protocols.

                              wrl-techops () pa dec com
                              Copyright © 2000 Compaq Computer Corporation

I was there, I saw the research that went into this, I know the guys who
did the work, and I agree completely with the conclusions thus presented.

  By Date           By Thread