Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: MAE-EAST Moving? from Tysons corner to reston VA.
From: Paul Vixie <vixie () mibh net>
Date: 17 Jun 2000 15:31:15 -0700

sean () donelan com (Sean Donelan) writes:

I don't understand your distinction.  Several companies sell both hosting
services and network services.  GlobalCenter/Crossing, Genuity/BBN and
Worldcom/UUNET have large "global" optical networks and hosting divisions.

Those companies also sell circuit-based services, i.e., services that do
not require hosting in order to accept delivery of them.  Genuity's home
page mentions DSL, for example.  These are fine companies, with fine
networks, but they are not "hosting" companies any more than making tanks
in WW2 made Chrysler into a weapons company or making keyboards and mice
makes Microsoft a hardware company.  If it's just one thing they do, then
it doesn't make sense to label the company by it.
--
Paul Vixie <vixie () mibh net>
SVP for Internet Services, MFNX

M.I.B.H. Inc. is a subsidiary of Metromedia Fiber Network, Inc.

  By Date           By Thread