Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: using IRR tools for BGP route filtering
From: Danny McPherson <danny () tcb net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:50:16 -0600

As has been observed many times on NANOG, one of the advantages that a
circuit-switched network like the PSTN has over a packet-switched network
like the Internet is that the PSTN has leisurely call setup times and
relatively infrequent routing table lookups.  No long-distance carrier
processes even 100 million phone calls in a day networkwide; yet there
are many routers which process billions of packets daily *per interface*.

I suppose for one this depends on your definition of leisurely,
though I certainly agree with your point.  I believe the lack of
pre-populated "forwarding tables" in the PSTN is also a major
difference, and a major factor in circuit setup time...

The comments regarding number allocation and portability were
more so related to the attributes of PSTN datatbase (E800, LIDB,
PVN, etc..) versus forwarding capabilities.

-danny

  By Date           By Thread