Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: whois
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:11:55 -0400

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:53:16 EDT, Marshall Eubanks <tme () 21rst-century com>  said:
Are you really saying that if I tell you that a dial-up user on your network
hacked into my system at some precise time, from a precise IP address
(so that you could probably tell easily which user did it), and did so
in a fashion
which suggested an automated "script kiddie" effort, I should only
expect a response from you if I PAY for it ?!?

Umm... would you be satisfied with a "We've referred it to the appropriate
people" response?

At least here, and probably many other universities, we're stuck not being
able to say much more than that due to student confidentiality rules...

Yes, we take action.  No, we usually can't say what we did.
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst

  By Date           By Thread