Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

RE: RSA Patent Expired
From: Joe Shaw <jshaw () insync net>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:41:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Richard A. Steenbergen wrote:

except that nobody should be using ssh1 for _anything_ if they can
possibly avoid it. even the orginal authors of ssh are strongly
advocating
consigning ssh1 to the trash heap of computer security.

I think you're confused, ssh1 is still a very valid protocol. It is well
tested and proven, and in many cases better implemented then ssh2 (though
of course that may change eventually). Don't confuse the desire to make
money with insecurity.

No, he's not confused.  Supposedly, using any algorithm other than 3DES
with SSH1 can set you up for some type of stream insertion attack.  I've
never seen it personally, but supposedly the threat does exist.

Furthermore, OpenSSH supports ssh2 and is free, in both the free beer and
the free speech way.  The BSD license is cool like that.

--
Joseph W. Shaw - jshaw () insync net
Computer Security Consultant and Programmer

  By Date           By Thread