Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

More BW, Less Taxes
From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:37:27 +0000 (UCT)

FWIW, I recently heard someone ask the question - "how do you go to your
investors and tell them you need more money for more bandwidth because you
don't want to efficiently manage your existing capacity?"

This is the business case for QoS, IMHO.

Irwin

      Which costs more, wholesale, raw bitpipes or qualified
      engineering talent to create/police the policies needed
      to maintain QoS?

--bill

That's the $64k question.  :-)

From what I've seen, there isn't a simple answer.  In places where bandwidth
is exorbantantly expensive (such as outside the United States), simply over
provisioning isn't an acceptable answer.

        Why does BW cost so much?

--bill

  By Date           By Thread