Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Instant chats and central servers
From: David Shaw <dshaw () jabberwocky com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 22:54:42 -0400

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 07:53:38PM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 10:11:07PM +0200, poptix wrote:

   FYI, there are ICQ servers you can run locally, but
not for AIM or MSN, I would suggest an IRC server.

IRC pretty much requires you to sit there watching it, and has lots of
other limitations that make it less useful for this purpose than instant
messenging.

Try Jabber; they have servers.

And, it can also talk to AIM, MSN, etc, although AOL is currently trying
to make that stop working.

One more thing to try: Gale (www.gale.org).  Built-in public key
crypto - everyone has a key, messages are automatically encrypted,
etc.  It even comes with a Zephyr gateway for any MIT folks. :)

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw () jabberwocky com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/

  By Date           By Thread