Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

foreign upstarts dare to use their own languages [was: Re: black hat .cn networks]
From: Joe Abley <jabley () automagic org>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 15:59:35 -0400

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 11:29:23AM -0700, Scott Francis wrote:
On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 12:26:00AM +0800, Adrian Chadd exclaimed:
The internet has a bunch of technical standards which we loosely
agree to. There's no law stating "thou shalt speak English if connected
via BGP4 to thy internet".

And are _any_ of those technical standards written in a language other than
English? Think about the acronyms we use in network-speak every day - how many
of them stand for phrases in a language other than English?

Acronyms can be translated too. The termination point for my Bell Canada
ADSL service is labelled "ADSL/LNPA", for example.

I think what you meant to say was: "the English Acronyms I use when
speaking English only make sense in English!" :)

Joe

  By Date           By Thread