Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10 gige experience
From: Greg Maxwell <gmaxwell () martin fl us>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:12:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 May 2001, John Fraizer wrote:

Anyone know any good articles on 10GB ethernet? I am specifically
intrested if they have removed some of the legacy requirements that hamper
gigabit ethernet (such as a default MTU of 1500, half-duplex, etc.)

Half-duplex?  The last time I checked, my GigE equipment didn't default to
half-duplex.

No I wouldn't expect it to, nor did I state anything about defaulting to
half. There is no purpose for half-duplex in GIGE, even the few GIGE hubs
I've seen are buffered and user congestion control to allow full duplex
operation.  The possibility of half-duplex mode just adds unneeded cruft
and additional failure modes.

  By Date           By Thread