Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: The DSL business model
From: "Christopher A. Woodfield" <rekoil () semihuman com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:23:21 -0400

Not to mention that if you're looking to do BGP, most providers won't
think of letting you run BGP over anything that's not at least a T1. When
I was at Intermedia, we didn't even let customer do BGP over frame relay -
they had to have a fractional T1 service at minimum.

-C

The technology that can be faulted, and I sincerely apologize for not being
clear enough on this, is that which prevents adequate redundancy at the
end-nodes. The fact that 100,000 businesses can get lopped off by a single
provider business failure is pretty sad. I've tried, for over a year, to get
redundant uplinks to an alternate provider (ISDN backup to xDSL). CIDR,
prefix filtering, and cluelessness nail that effort every time. It doesn't
seem to matter that I am more than willing to pay for it. It simply isn't
available. But, it should be (I don't mean tinker-toy methods either).
Before CIDR, it was. The past few quarters has shown how necessary it is.
Guys, this is a huge market gap, why isn't anyone filling it?

--
ROELAND M.J. MEYER
Managing Director

--
Christopher A. Woodfield                rekoil () semihuman com

PGP Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB887618B

  By Date           By Thread