Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Qwest Statement (was Re: information on 60 hudson / 140 west st ?)
From: Frank Coluccio <fcoluccio () dticonsulting com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:23:54 GMT

As to be expected, there continues to be a certain amount [not too much, but
enough to be disconcerting] of spin and coyness from some of the service
providers, in general, despite the current circumstances demanding of full
disclosure. For example, one of AT&T's spokespeople stated last week that there
was no impact to AT&T's *Long Distance* Network. Nowhere in the same release,
however, did they mention that their main NY City hub for AT&T/LNS (Local Network
Services) was covered by rubble.

Incidentally, our office in the South Street Seaport district and we are totally
o.o.s. We just received power a little while ago from one of the many portable
generators that were shipped in by ConEd. But we have no visible means of
obtaining status for voice and data comms at this time, and of course, our 'Net
services are linked via a West Street subscriber loops, which places us s.o.o.l.

As an aside, I'm told that VZ has 'remote-ed,' through the use of fiber-remote
nodes, some of their nxx switching entities to Pearl Street and Broad Street, in
cases where users had dual-fed loop access in place as a part of their
contingency plans for just this type of disaster. -FAC

sean () donelan com wrote:

dan kelley writes:
right.  i think that info is form their site.  they
claim that they're working diligently to install new
lines to circumvent 140 west.  what i haven't heard
(and couldn't get them to say) is when they think
they'll have the first coulpe of OC-48s installed.

I'm not sure why Qwest is being so closed-mouth about
the status of their network.  Qwest told Network World
they had no damage to their network.

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/0917attacks.html
   "Qwest Communications and WorldCom say their networks
    were not affected by the attacks."

I'd think it would be remarkable that any major carrier
with service in New York City didn't experience some
impact this week.

  By Date           By Thread