Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: DS3 encapsulated in OC3c?
From: neil () DOMINO ORG (Neil J. McRae)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:33:37 +0100 (BST)

I was going to suggest UTI but I don't think it supports DS-3 serial
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120s/120s18/uti_gsr.htm maybe worth
speaking to cisco to see
if they have done anything with DS3 ports. as they support T1, Ethernet and
OC3.

Xylan used to do a pizza box switch that did DS-3 Circuit emulation
over ATM.

Regards,
Neil.

All,

I'm about to bring up a transatlantic 622M circuit, and am stuck with an
annoying SDH/SONET problem.

We use the Cisco 15454 SONET mux on our network, and although we'd ordered
a SONET OC12 circuit, we've since been told that it'll actually be an SDH
STM-4 circuit. This shouldn't be a problem, as the carrier can convert
from SDH to SONET at their handoff, or we can convert from SDH to SONET on
the way into the 15454. However, unfortunately both solutions leave us in
the situation where the smallest SONET unit we can use is an STS-3c - and
we need at least one DS3 circuit running over this.

So, I'm stuck trying to carry a DS3 in an STS-3c carrier (or, another
similar solution).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a "cheap" box that will do this -
without getting into buying a full SDH mux?

Thanks,

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516

  By Date           By Thread