Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

RE: end2end? (was: RE: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ... )
From: Jon Mansey <jon_mansey () verestar com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 12:44:21 -0700

At 12:31 PM -0700 9/7/01, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> [...]

Can we talk ... using NetMeeting?

NM, along with IPsec are examples of apps that dont play well here, but thats the point, they are apps that have not been written with the real world in mind, ie that a good proportion of the edge these days is behind NAT.

Who gives in first here, the app developers (or their marketing depts) who decide that supporting NAT is important, or the NAT developers who decide they can fix cuseeme or PPTP by re-writing the packet data?

I am also playing devil's advocate here somewhat, we all know the real solution to lack of IPv4 space, true end2end, and security lies with IPv6, right?

jm

  By Date           By Thread