Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Provider Bypass
From: "Christopher Wolff" <chris () bblabs com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 16:49:00 -0700

Dear List:

I have a customer that has a 3 meg link into my backbone providers network.  Unfortunately they are not getting
anywhere near 3 megs between their 3 meg link and my 100meg direct connect over this backbone network. (Lucky to get 1
meg) The existing provider is 'reluctant to reroute traffic over a more optimal link for 1 customer'.  (I'll keep my
venting to myself on this one..)

Lets say I add another provider that has a peering point 12ms away from this customer.  Is it possible to route this
traffic through the alternative provider?

I guess the easy solution would be to advertise only this customers specific network to the alternative provider.

I know this is a vague question, just would appreciate some opinions and thoughts.

Regards,
Christopher Wolff, VP, CIO
Broadband Labs
http://www.bblabs.com