Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Digex and Akamai are raping the ARIN whois database
From: steve uurtamo <uurtamo () arttoday com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:44:16 -0700

If anyone has any heuristics for ensuring that lists don't have automated
new-domain or SWIP gleanings, I'd appreciate them; for now we'll just
search for hostmaster@, ipspace@, and other role-looking accounts.

a heuristic that i would use would be:

please don't purchase "contact" lists from people.
please don't hire marketing folks who think that this is a good idea.

sales the old-fashioned way still works, you know.  learn about people in
your market, get to know what they want, contact them individually when
you think you can make a sale.

since when did blind email campaigns to lists of people whose _origin you
can't even determine_ become a reasonable-sounding sales technique?

this isn't postcard-in-the-mailbox stuff, guys.  and the people buying it
aren't likely to impulse-buy, anyhow.  jeez.

s.

  By Date           By Thread