Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Tier-1 without their own backbone?
From: Christopher McCrory <chrismcc () pricegrabber com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:29:13 -0700

Hello...

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 12:32, Rick Ernst wrote:
We are sending out feelers for adding an additional DS-3, or possibly frac
OC-3.  One of the responses came back with "we won't be competive with
<provider> because they don't have their own backbone.

Is there a cross-reference for provider vs network backbone, or is this just
something that we have to ask each provider for?  I "assume" that UU, Sprint,
and AT&T are self-owned backbones, but others... ?

One of the providers we are looking at is Level-3.  Any comments good/bad on

I use Level-3 out of the LA Equinix facility.  From a content provider
point of view, they rule.  I have never had a problem with them, solid
as a rock.

reliability and clue?  We already have UU, Sprint, and AT&T.  I also realize
that the "they suck less" list changes continuously... :)

I hope more people respond to this part "for future reference".

Thanks,
Rick
--
Christopher McCrory