Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fun new policy at AOL
From: Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:57:54 -0400

Funny, I didn't think this was 'aol-mail-policy-list'.

This isn't new, crazy, nor out of step with generally accepted
practices.  They [and many others] have been doing it for a
while.  A dynamic block is generally listed as such in a service
provider's reverse DNS and also often in a voluntary listing
such as the DUL. AOL's specific definition is point 12 on their
postmaster FAQ (http://postmaster.info.aol.com/faq.html).  If
a service provider is providing business/static addressing and
 not making it clear, thats a customer<->provider issue.

Whoa.. thats crazy. Obviously its an effort to stop relay
forwarding from cable modem and DSL customers but there are
*lots* of legitimate smtp servers sitting on customer sites
on dynamic addresses.

I suspect your definition of legitimate is different than
the service providers' on whose network these machines are
sitting. Use the submit protocol for client/end stations.
SMTP is for inter-server traffic; if you have a server on
a residential connection, check your service agreement. If
you have a business service being incorrectly tagged as
residential, then you have a legitimate beef - with your
provider. Not AOL and not NANOG.

I've numerous customers I can think of straight away who
use setups such a MS Exchange on dynamic addresses where
they poll POP3 boxes and send their own SMTP!

POP XMIT; SUBMIT [even MS products support it]. Use TLS if
you care that your customers are sharing their passwords
in the clear.  Anyway, postmaster () aol might be more
interested in your concerns. Then again, they set the rules
for their network, so they might not.

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE

  By Date           By Thread