Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Port blocking last resort in fight against virus
From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:50:22 -0500

Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

If people want to use the network they need to take the responsibility and
patch their systems. Blocking should really only be considered in very
extreme circumstances when your network is being affected by the problem,
or if the overall threat is such that a short term network-wide block
would help get over the hump.

Correct, and that's what I consider this; a short term network-wide block that would help get over the hump. While my network is stable, that doesn't mean everyone being scanned is stable. There are undoubtably DOS conditions caused by this worm.

-Jack

  By Date           By Thread