Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

RE: [Microsoft to ship new versions with firewall enabled]
From: "Vachon, Scott" <Scott.Vachon () paymentech com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:22:10 -0400

while i think many of us will welcome this, i am skeptical of what
the firewall will be 'enabled' to block, and how easy it will be
for the user to set-up rules (and hopefully there will be a sanity
check included so that 'permit in any' is not a valid option, but
then 'permit out any' should not be one either)
but still, it is a step...

Perhaps the better idea would be to ship a stripped down, basic OS for about $25.00 a license. Then offer up all the
bells and whistles on a pay per download option. I think this one simple step alone would aid in reducing security
issues on the OS. I would hazard a guess that a majority of users will NEVER use (or need) all the built in
functionality currently included with the OS.

~S~

Disclaimer: My own two cents.

Learn more about Paymentech's payment processing services at www.paymentech.com
THIS MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL.  This e-mail message and any attachments are proprietary and confidential information
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not print,
distribute, or copy this message or any attachments.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachments from your computer.

  By Date           By Thread